WHAT IS DETOX FOOD?
From an Ayurvedic perspective, Detox food is any food that helps the body break down “AMA” or the half digested un-metabolised food product that circulates in the body as toxins.
Kitchari is a traditional Ayurvedic dish that helps in the body detoxification process and is balancing and beneficial for everyone.
1 cup Basmati or Brown Rice
2 cups Mung Daal ( split)
1 cup seasonal vegetables
7 cups water
2 table spoons Ghee
1 table spoon fennel seeds
1 teaspoon ginger paste
1/2 teaspoon salt and black pepper
1. Wash rice and dal in clean water. Wash each separately at least 3 times.
2. Sauté fennel seeds in ghee until they pop. Then add ginger paste and pepper followed by mung dal and salt. Sauté for 1 or 2 minutes. Add 5 cups boiling water and simmer for 30 minutes or until the dal is about 2/3 cooked.
3. Now prepare fresh seasonal vegetables like carrots and peas. Cut them into small pieces. Add rice and vegetables. Stir to mix, adding 2 remaining cups of boling water. Simmer for 20 minutes or until rice is fully cooked.
4. Serve hot.
Alternative method (if you have a digital rice cooker)
- Wash all ingredients mentioned above i.e. rice, water and vegetables.
- Add them in the rice cooker along with water. Select “Congee” or “Soup” option.
- Sauté fennel seeds in ghee until they pop. Now add ginger paste, salt and pepper and saute for another 1-2 minutes. Add this mixture in the rice cooker once the cooking process is completed and mix everything well. Serve hot.