STRUCTURE OF THE SPINE
Spine is made up of 33 individual bones called vertebra that interlock with each other to form a spinal column. The top 24 bones are movable. The cervical spine or upper back area supports the weight of the head. Thoracic (mid back) – holds the rib cage and protects the heart and lungs. Lumbar (lower back) bears the weight of the body. Sacrum connects the spine to the hip bones (iliac). Coccyx region provides attachment for ligaments and muscles of the pelvic floor.Ligaments are strong fibrous bands that hold the vertebrae together, stabilize the spine, and protect the discs.
Strong muscles and correct posture maintains the natural curvature of the spine.
The two main muscle groups that affect the spine are extensors and flexors. The extensors are at the back of the spine and stabilize it. The flexor muscles are in the front and include the abdominal muscles. The back muscles stabilize your spine.
CAUSES FOR CHANGE IN THE SPINE
Excess body weight, especially a large belly, weak muscles, low bone density and back injuries can cause changes in the spine’s alignment:
- An abnormal curve of the lumbar spine is lordosis, also called sway back.
- An abnormal curve of the thoracic spine is kyphosis, also called hunchback.
- An abnormal curve from side-to-side is called scoliosis.
AYU SPINE TREATMENT
AYU spine treatment is effective in providing tangible benefits especially in treating sway back, hunch back and spinal scoliosis.
Spine Treatment focus on :
- Strengthening the weak muscles on the Pelvic floor, focusing on Glutenus Medius, Glutenus Maximus, Piriformis, Sartorius, Gracilis and Teres Minormuscle group.
- Increasing blood circulation in the pelvic region and spinal column by the use of herbs and oils. This increases flexibility, strength and mobility of the spine
- Use of freshly prepared herbal potalis infused with rice grains, herbs, and milk for spinal rejuvenation
- Full body and head treatment employing effective techniques like marma point therapy, spinal flush, kneading, palm pressure etc.
- Special spinal adjustment and body alignment sessions starting from the feet, knee, hip and neck
- Marma basti sessions with hot oil focus on major energy centers of the back (cervical, thoracic, lumbar) , sternum (chest), stomach and knees.
- Working on marma pulse points in the head region for balance
HOW MANY TREATMENT SESSIONS ARE REQUIRED?
This depends primarily on the nature of the health condition and person’s age, Prior to the start of your treatments, a comprehensive health examination and consultation with an experienced specialist is required. Based on the health check, the specialist will create your treatment program.
Spine Program is organized into treatment sessions. There are mainly three types of sessions.