ARE YOU IN PAIN BECAUSE OF STIFF NECK?
Neck Exercises have a positive effect in relieving pain or discomfort experienced from having a stiff neck. It can improve your neck’s range of motion and can strengthen the underlying muscles. But a personalised exercise program should be scheduled according to your pain severity, limitation of movement, and current strength. A typical neck exercise program will consist of a combination of stretching and strengthening exercises, and trigger point exercises, and possibly aerobic conditioning.
These kind of neck exercises can make you learn how to use, stretch and strengthen neck muscles in the healthiest manner. Some simple exercises to relieve pain arising from a stiff neck are :
* Rotations: Turning head slowly to the left and right
* Shoulder circles: While standing, raise your shoulders straight up, then move them in a circle around, down and back up again and circle in both directions
* Side stretches: While standing, stretch your neck slowly to the left trying to touch your ear to your shoulder. Repeat on the right side.
* Resistance neck exercises: Place your right hand against your head above your ear and gently press, resisting the movement with your neck. Do the same with your left hand on the other side.
* Head lifts: Lifting and lowering head exercises, by lying on your back with your knees bent and feet flat on the floor.
A therapist can guide you through appropriate neck exercises, motivating you to work hard and to prevent you from exercises that cause further injury. Before attending exercise independently, you must ensure how to perform each step safely.
Common reasons for neck pain are:
* Injury and accidents
* Degenerative disorders such as osteoarthritis, spinal stenosis, and degenerative disc disease
* Poor posture, obesity, and weak abdominal muscles disrupt the spine’s balance often causing the neck to bend forward to compensate
* Stress and emotional tension can cause muscles to tighten and contract resulting in pain and stiffness
Should you require professional assistance for treating your stiff neck, check out AYU Neck Pain treatment program.