What is Constipation?
Constipation is defined as the inability to completely empty the bowels. Usually, the stool is very hard and elimination can be uncomfortable and painful. In Ayurveda, Constipation is called “Vibandh”. The main cause of constipation is wrong eating habits or eating wrong food combinations. A hectic lifestyle with too much movement or no physical movement at all combined with stress can also cause constipation. It is important that we pro actively create a plan for treating constipation as soon as we recognize the symptoms.
What Can Constipation Lead To ?
What most people may not realize delay in treating constipation can lead to other health conditions like fissures, fistulas, piles, lack of appetite and indigestion, headaches, lower back aches, dullness, bloating, heaviness, nausea and flatulence.
Why does Constipation Occur ?
Due to causes stated above, the body’s digestive power or “Agni” becomes weak. This causes formation of “Ama” or toxic wastes in the body. Undigested food remains accumulated in the colon leading to obstruction of the digestive tract. The best regimen for treating constipation begins with your kitchen.
Beneficial Food for Treating Constipation
- Increase intake of cooked vegetables.
- Eat fruits like apples, ripe bananas as a mid morning snack.
- Remember fruits should be eaten separately from meals.
- Drink 8-10 glasses of room temperature water each day.
- Include vegetable soups like spinach in your diet.
- Include whole grains and nuts in your diet in small quantities.
- Avoid removing bran from the flour, as bran is an insoluble fiber that helps to clear the intestines and effective in treating constipation.
- Avoid refined foods like white flour, bread, pasta, pizza, white rice, etc.
- High -protein foods like cheese, red meat, and soybeans can cause constipation, so these must be balanced with lots of cooked green vegetables.
- Go for freshly cooked and warm food. Cold, deep fried and stale food slows down the digestive power.
- Foods high in refined sugar like cakes, ice creams and carbonated drinks can also slow down reduce the bowel movement.
Timeless Wisdom for Treating Constipation
- Start your day with gratitude for being given another opportunity to improve over yesterday.
- Morning exercises are very helpful as they make you physically flexible and help clear up your mind. For example, a 20 minute walk followed by 5 minutes “Pranayama” or breathing exercises.
- Make breakfast your most important meal and make sure you have enough time to enjoy a wholesome meal.
- It is also very helpful to write down just 3 things that you would like to see completed for the day.
- Remember to drink lots of water during the day.
- Take short breaks to stretch yourself.
- Do not skip any meal.
- Avoid eating while working, watching TV, while traveling in the car, late night eating.
- Do not use any electronic device at least one hour before you sleep. Excessive use of mobiles, laptops, and computers causes too much movement in the mind, making you tired and irritable. Stressful and tired mind leads to unhealthy bodily changes.
- Psychological factors like stress, anxiety, fear, jealousy, and sorrow can also cause weakness in your digestive system.
- End your day by remembering 3 things that made you smile that day and sleep with gratitude in your heart.